Samstag, 27. April 2013

Hola chica!

Hi guys!

As you can tell from the date when I wrote my last entry - WE haven't gotten bored yet! Yes, I can  officially say WE now. Last weekend Ursina arrived in Arequipa. She is another volunteer from Switzerland and we will both stay in Arequipa till the middle of July.

It even happened to be so, that she lives with us now. Since she didn't know where she was gonna stay until she left Switzerland last Tuesday - my auntie offered to let her stay here. So here we are now. Ursina lives with us and it's kinda cool to know, that I won't be living by myself once Clarita leaves to Switzerland.

So this has been my third week working at the orphanage. Crazy how time flies by! This week we were able to finish our first project! We painted two 2m x 1.5m pictures of Minnie Mouse and Barney and his amigos. It was sorta messy at times - little Fernando walked around with white hair for 4 days, because he messed around with the paint. But hey - at least it seemed like they were enjoying it quite a bit. They did a pretty amazing job! I will post pictures as soon as we will have put them up on the wall.

Our new goal is to craft some things the kids can play with. So far the afternoon program only consists of taking a nap for 2h and then watching tv for 3h till it's dinner time. People seem to really be trying, but it's incredibly hard to change something if you only have 1 person watching 35 kids all afternoon. As I mentioned before, handicapped kids are still not accepted here. Therefore it's extremely hard to find personnel. So we just try to come up with super easy things, with which the kids can play by themselves. Right now we are making memory cards with the kids.





I really love working there! It's not always easy, especially since the Doctora (boss) is still at the hospital. It's still a pretty big chaos. But the kids are just too adorable! It's great to see them smile and to get hugs from them all the time. They are all wonderful kids and I'm grateful to know them all. One of my highlights this week was, that every morning when I entered little Jahir (about 5 or 6 years old) came up to me and said: "Hola chica!". Just too adorable!

I also got the chance to take more Spanish classes. Two times a week I get to go to Spanish class in the evenings. That really helps!

Ya life is crazy here, but at the same time super good! Lots to do and most of the nights I fall in my bed drop dead tired. But the experience is definitely worth it! So if you ever have some time on your hands and you don't know what to do (I know I know, it's rare - but it's supposed to happen every once in a while) - something like this is definitely an amazing experience!!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen