Freitag, 22. März 2013

Gourmet

This week we went to one of the biggest markets in Arequipa. I learned, that if you go there you need to have a strong stomach (so please if you decide to read on, make sure you either have one too or you have a bucket near you). Especially if you walk thru the 'meat section', you better not be sensitive to the smell. Haha!

But it was super pretty and so big! This is a view from the top floor down - and I didn't even get the whole thing on the picture!





First we went up on the first floor! There were flowers everywhere! They had the most beautiful bouquets there! I love all the different kinds of flowers here. I'm so happy my auntie has this paradise like garden! Eating breakfast in the morning, looking at all the beautiful flowers is just heavenly. 

Then we went down to the main floor. She showed me the section with all the magic-stuff. Well it's the stuff for the Inca-rituals etc. People buy these things to bless their fields, houses and whatever else. If you were wondering if this was a real Lama in the picture - yes it's a baby lama and it's real! I told you, one needs a strong stomach to go to the market! Poor little lama!
Later on we went to the meat section. Mh, lets say, if Migro or Coop kept their meat like that, it would have to be thrown out immediately. But it's fine here! It's actually really good meat and you don't get sick from it.
For lunch we then had something called chupe de camarones. Basically you throw the camarones, that you just bought on the market, plus fish eggs (like kaviar, but yellow), corn and potatoes in a soupe. While eating the soup you have to peal the camarones- because you just throw them in as a whole! Oh and as a yummi extra for all you out there - I learned, that you don't just eat the tail of the camarones but you also suck out the brain! Haha! Peru live! But it's actually not too bad, as long as you don't think about what you are eating X) Also the fish eggs are really yummi (in the picture - the yellow heaps)!
But then you also see things like this in the meat section (oh and by the way - you eat the feet as  well - apparently they taste like gum):
Next to the meat section was the queso. Delicious looking, but again, there is no such thing as a fridge:
I think my most favourite part was the fruit and vegetable section! I love all the colors and also the smell is just fabulous! There are so many different kinds of fruit, that one can try. I think one of my most favourite fruits so far, is the cactus fruit (green). It's super sweet, but at the same time not too much. You buy it and they cut it open for you right away - so basically like take away - but super fresh! Me gusta!
Yup, crazy market day! But definitely one of my favourite places so far! I love Arequipa!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen